Actions to take
- Switch your electricity to a clean energy provider – compare tariffs here.
Insulate your home to help minimize your energy usage – get advice and expertise here, or if on a low income, here.
- Install a smart meter to check your household energy use – your electricity provider can tell you more.
- Install solar panels, solar hot-water systems or air-source heat pumps to heat and power your home – see our Eco Open Houses site to learn lots more.
- See if the Green Homes Grant can help fund the cost of improvements (scheduled to end in March 2021 – but check if it gets extended).
What we’ve been doing
In addition to founding community energy company Ovesco, running Eco Open House weekends and the Lewes Electric Car Show, TTL puts on talks and discussions around a range of alternative forms of clean energy and how we could power Lewes in the future.
Set up by members of Transition Town Lewes, Ovesco is an award-winning social enterprise creating community-owned renewable energy projects, including installing solar-panel arrays on the roof of Harvey’s Brewery depot (pictured) and on schools across East Sussex. Many projects are funded wholly or partly by local people who can become shareholders and receive a return on their investment. See more here: https://ovesco.co.uk/
Eco Open Houses
Since 2009 we’ve been holding this event, with householders across the district opening their doors to the public, showcasing energy-saving measures, renewable energy systems and other ideas to make their homes more eco-friendly. Browse our Eco Open Houses page to see what people have been doing.
We are lucky to have a number of experts in town who are always happy to help with their experiences of how to make a home more energy efficient. Here is some information from one of them, Jill Goulder:
Jill Goulder’s video and guides on magnetic secondary double glazing and LED lighting
See the guides on Jill’s website here
- Why are energy prices rising so steeply?
- 10 questions about carbon offsetting
- Should I replace my gas combi boiler with an electric boiler?
- So what went wrong with the Green Homes Grant scheme?
- Help with heating
- What does net zero really mean?
- Meet our new sponsor – OHM Energy
- Check your community’s carbon footprint
- Sign the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty!
- 10 things hydrogen can, could and can’t do for us
- Warmer Sussex webinars on retrofit and insulation
- So you think you know how our electricity is generated?
- Switching to heat pumps
- Magnetic strip secondary glazing
- Green Homes Grant
- Green homes grant under stress
- The future of energy management and storage
- Modular building in Newhaven
- Hemp as an eco-friendly building material
- Concrete has a very high carbon footprint – watch a talk about a pioneering new solution