Project launch: Winter 2008
Contact: Ann Link
Seasonal Menus is a project of the Food Group who produce free small booklets with recipes of locally produced seasonal food, plus a list of local places where you can buy the produce. The Menus, produced four times a year, are funded by small grants from the Town Council and a few local businesses. They are given out by the featured shopkeepers and at the new weekly market. Usually 500-1000 booklets are produced. ‘People like them,’ says founder Ann Link, ‘We get feedback that they try the recipes. And it’s a good way to promote the Food Group.’
Here’s one you might like to try; it’s quick to prepare, easy to make and very forgiving if you get home late:
Cooking Method –Slow cooker/ pressure cooker/oven
4 chump chops or 2 neck fillets cut in quarters
2 tablespoons pot barley
8 medium potatoes
I tbspn oil
Salt and pepper
500mls hot chicken /beef stock [or add I tbspn Marigold veg. stock powder to 500mls hot water.]
- Season the meat well and place in pot.
- Trim and wash the leeks, cut into 1cm slices and add to meat.
- Sprinkle on barley and pour on stock.
- Wash and thinly slice the potatoes and make an even layer on top.
- Season well and brush with the oil.
- Cook for 2 hours in a slow oven. The liquid should be visible – top up if needed.
- Serve in soup bowls with a carrot salad for crunch and contrast.